From the sacred Seifa-Utaki to the underwater observatory at Busena Marine Park, there are many things to do in Okinawa during your visit.
Our family took a trip to Okinawa – the most southern islands of Japan last December. Since it was winter time, we didn’t get to enjoy the famed beautiful sandy beaches but there are so many things to do in Okinawa. From visiting the caves at Okinawa World to seeing the giant whale sharks at Okinawa Churaumi Aquarium, we got to experience the many personalities of Okinawa and of course, ate all different types of Okinawan food.
Nami will be sharing Okinawan recipes on the blog as I shared our travel experience in Okinawa. Hopefully, our travel tips will come in handy when you are ready to visit this island paradise.
For this travel series, we’ll share the following posts:
- Okinawa World – おきなわワールド (recipe – Rafute)
- Ocean Expo Park and Ryukyu Village – 海洋博物館・琉球村 (recipe – Sata Andagi)
- Shuri Castle and Nakagusuku Castle – 首里城 & 中城城 (recipe – Taco Rice)
- Kokusai Dori, Shikinaen, Busena Marine Park, and Peace Museums – 国際通り, 識名園, ブセナ海中公園 (recipe – Okinawa Soba)
- Okinawa food, rental car, and accommodations
Watch Journey to Okinawa (沖縄) Travel Highlights
Last December, our family traveled to Okinawa (沖縄) the most southern island of Japan and had an amazing time.
Things to Do in Okinawa
We were originally planning on sharing 4 travel posts on Okinawa; however, as Nami and I were going through the photos we wanted to share, we decided to expand it to one more post as there are too much to share.
For today’s post, we’ll visit from beautiful UNESCO World Heritage sites to underwater observatory. Are you ready for a whirlwind tour of things to do in Okinawa? Let’s go!
- Sefa-Utaki (sacred site) – UNESCO World Heritage site
- Shikinaen 識名園
- Busena Marine Park ブセナ海中公園
- Orion Happy Park オリオンハッピーパーク
- Okinawa Prefectural Peace Memorial Park 平和祈念公園
- Himeyuri Peace Museum ひめゆり平和祈念資料館
- Kokusai Dori 国際通り
- Yomitan Pottery Village やちむんの里
Seifa-Utaki is located on the lower east coast of Okinawa and about 45 min by car from Naha City. We visited Seifa-Utaki after we explored the caves at Okinawa World as it’s only 20 min away.